Skip to content
- 1 1/3 cups warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons instant or rapid-rise yeast
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine salt
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for the pan
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 3 3/4 cups flour, plus more as needed
- Combine warm water and yeast in small bowl or measuring cup, let sit for 10mins.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients and mix together (is that the same thing?)
- When the yeast is ready, add all wet and dry ingredients and mix together.
- Put flour on a surface and take the dough out of the bowl
- Now knead it like you need it. At least 5 mins.
Make it! Be happy!
- 2/3 cup water
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (or salted see below)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt – Watch out for this! Salted butter adds saltiness.
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 2 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Low moisture mozzarella cheese
- Combine water, butter, and salt in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer; pour in flour all at once and reduce heat to medium. Stir with a wooden spoon or spatula until a dough starts coming together. Cook, scraping up and stirring the dough, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; transfer dough to a mixing bowl. Let cool until no longer hot but still very warm, 5 to 10 minutes. Add egg and season with cayenne and freshly ground black pepper. Whisk vigorously until mixture combines into a very soft, sticky dough. Switch to a spatula and scrape dough into a ball.
- Seal dough and spatula with plastic wrap and refrigerate in the bowl until cool, about 1 hour.
- Grate mozzarella cheese over the dough and stir to combine.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) in a deep fryer or heavy-duty pan over medium heat. Preheat oven to 200 degrees F (93 degrees C) or any temperature for keeping warm.
- Scoop out about 2 tablespoons of dough per puff and form into a football shape using two spoons. Fry puffs, 5 or 6 at a time, in the hot oil until browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Keep puffs warm in low oven while frying the rest. Serve with sauce.